Successful Management of Cleft Lip and Palate Malformation without Pre-Surgical Infant Orthopedics
1Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Albert-Ludwigs University Freiburg, Germany
DOI: 10.17796/1053-4625-45.3.10 Vol.45,Issue 3,July 2021 pp.204-207
Published: 01 July 2021
*Corresponding Author(s): Brandenburg Leonard Simon E-mail: Leonard.email@example.com
Objective: To investigate the effect of lip closure on reduction of cleft palates when no pre-surgical infant orthopedics (PSIO) are used. Study design: Retrospective patient chart-review in our department for Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Medical Centre Freiburg, Germany. 19 patients at the age of 5.9 ± 2.1 months with surgical treatment of uni- (UCLP), or bilateral cleft lip and palate (BCLP) without any use of PSIO were included. Results: Early soft tissue correction of the lip leads to an effective reduction of the maxillary arch without any use of PSIO. The presented conventional and digital measurements appeared to be reliable. A successful reduction of the cleft width (UCLP = 3.88 ± 2.42mm, BCLP = 7.33 ± 5.00mm), the width of the alveolar arch (1.91 ± 1.36mm) and the sagittal depth of the alveolar arch (3.07 ± 2.71 mm) could be achieved with the presented workflow. Conclusions: Cleft reduction was obtainable without PSIO when lip closure after Tennison-Randall was performed.
Pre surgical infant orthopedics; Cleft reduction; Tennison-Randall; Infant orthopedics
Schwarz Steffen Jochen,Brandenburg Leonard Simon,Weingart Julia Vera,Schupp Wiebke,Füssinger Marc Anton,Stocker Sophia Aurelia,Metzger Marc Christian. Successful Management of Cleft Lip and Palate Malformation without Pre-Surgical Infant Orthopedics. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2021. 45(3);204-207.
1. Mossey PA, Little J, Munger RG, Dixon MJ, Shaw WC. Cleft lip and palate. Lancet. 2009;374(9703):1773-1785. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60695-4
2. Niranjane PP, Kamble RH, Diagavane SP, et al. Current status of presurgical infant orthopaedic treatment for cleft lip and palate patients: A critical review. Indian J Plast Surg. 2014;47(3):293-302. doi:10.4103/0970-0358.146573
3. Prahl C, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM, Van ’T Hof MA, Prahl-Andersen B. A randomised prospective clinical trial into the effect of infant orthopaedics on maxillary arch dimensions in unilateral cleft lip and palate (Dutchcleft). European Journal of Oral Sciences. 2001;109(5):297-305. doi:10.1034/j.1600-0722.2001.00056.x
4. Hosseini HR, Kaklamanos EG, Athanasiou AE. Treatment outcomes of pre-surgical infant orthopedics in patients with non-syndromic cleft lip and/or palate: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(7):e0181768. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0181768
5. García Abuabara A, Drescher D. Development on the maxillary of patients with a unilateral total cleft with the use of a orthopaedic plate. Two-dimensional cast analysis. Revista Colombiana de Investigación en Odontología. 2010;(1):193-201.
6. Ross RB, Macnamera MC. Effect of Presurgical Infant Orthopedics on Facial Esthetics in Complete Bilateral Cleft Lip and Palate. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 1994;31(1):68-73. doi:10.1597/1545-1569_1994_031_0068_eopioo_2.3.co_2
7. Sforza C, De Menezes M, Bresciani E, et al. Evaluation of a 3D stereophotogrammetric technique to measure the stone casts of patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2012;49(4):477-483. doi:10.1597/10-207
8. Wu R, Cheraghlou S, Parsaei Y, Travieso R, Steinbacher DM. Does Cleft Palate Width Correlate With Veau Classification and Outcome? J Craniofac Surg. 2017;28(5):1369-1374. doi:10.1097/SCS.0000000000003646
9. Mazaheri M, Harding RL, Cooper JA, Meier JA, Jones TS. Changes in arch form and dimensions of cleft patients. Am J Orthod. 1971;60(1):19-32. doi:10.1016/0002-9416(71)90179-5
10. Braumann B, Keilig L, Bourauel C, Jäger A. Three-dimensional analysis of morphological changes in the maxilla of patients with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2002;39(1):1-11. doi:10.1597/1545-1569_2002_039_0001_tdaomc_2.0.co_2
11. Seckel NG, van der Tweel I, Elema GA, Specken TF. Landmark positioning on maxilla of cleft lip and palate infant—a
reality? Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1995;32(5):434-441. doi:10.1597/1545-1569_1995_032_0434_lpomoc_2.3.co_2
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.