Oral Reactive Lesions Associated to Incomplete Removal of Natal Teeth: Case Report
1Federal University of Paraná, Department of Stomatology, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
2Private practice, Vitória, Espírito Santo, Brazil
DOI: 10.17796/1053-4625-45.6.4 Vol.45,Issue 6,December 2021 pp.385-388
Published: 01 December 2021
*Corresponding Author(s): Melissa Rodrigues de Araujo E-mail: email@example.com
Natal teeth are infrequent at birth. Dental extraction is the most recommended treatment to avoid complications. Reactive soft tissue lesions associated to natal tooth or its incomplete removal are rare. A five-month-old female presented natal teeth #71 and #81 which were removed the day after the birth. The baby evolved with two nodules in the region of #71 and #81, pedunculated, 10 and 9 mm, respectively, covered by a pink mucosa, firm in consistency. Periapical radiography showed two radiopaque areas, suggestive of root fragments. After 30 days the nodule located in the region of #81 became purple in color and ulcerated. Both lesions were removed with high intensity diode laser. Histopathological analysis was compatible with inflammatory fibrous hyperplasia (#71) and pyogenic granuloma (#81). Early diagnosis of oral lesions in newborns by means of histopathological examination and a minimum invasive treatment, such as laser surgery, should be of primary concern.
Natal teeth; Pyogenic granuloma; Fibrous hyperplasia
Letícia Aparecida Cunico,Caroline Scheliga de Meira,Beatriz Miranda Moura Dutra,Antonio Adilson Soares de Lima,Melissa Rodrigues de Araujo. Oral Reactive Lesions Associated to Incomplete Removal of Natal Teeth: Case Report. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2021. 45(6);385-388.
1. Agarwal, N., et al. A Rare Case of Pyogenic Granuloma with a natal tooth. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10:28-29.
2. AAPD Council on Clinical Affairs. Guideline on pediatric oral surgery. Pediatr Dent AAPD. 2005; 32:10-11.
3. Bulut G, Bulut H, Ortaç R. A comprehensive survey of natal and neonatal teeth in newborns. Niger J Clin Pract. 2019; 22:1489-94.
4. de Santana Santos T, Martins-Filho PR, Piva MR, de Souza Andrade ES. Focal fibrous hyperplasia: a review of 193 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2014; 18:86-89.
5. Jafarzadeh H, Sanatkhani M, Mohtasham N. Oral pyogenic granuloma: a review. J Oral Sci. 2006; 48:167-75.
6. Khosraviani F, Ehsani S, Fathi M, Saberi-Demneh A. Therapeutic effect of laser on pediatric oral soft tissue problems: a systematic literature review. Lasers Med Sci. 2019; 34:1735-46.
7. Mhaske S, Yuwanati MB, Mhaske A, Ragavendra R, Kamath K, Saawarn S. Natal and neonatal teeth: an overview of the literature. ISRN Pediatr. 2013; 18:956269.
8. Muench MG, Layton S, Wright JM. Pyogenic granuloma associated with a natal tooth: case report. Pediatr Dent. 1992; 14:265-67.
9. Oliveira LB, Tamay TK, Wanderley MT, Rodrigues CRMD, Barboza CAG, de Souza SOM. Gingival fibrous hamartoma associated with natal teeth. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2005; 29:249-52.
10. Passos M, Azevedo R, Janini ME, Maia LC. Peripheral cemento-ossifying fibroma in a child: a case report. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2007; 32:57-59.
11. Samuel SS, Ross BJ, Rebekah G, Koshy S. Natal and Neonatal Teeth: A Tertiary Care Experience. Contemp Clin Dent. 2018; 9:218-22.
12. Seminario AL, Ivancakova R. Natal and neonatal teeth. Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove). 2004; 47:229–33.
13. Sethi HS, Munjal D, Dhingra R, Malik NS, Sidhu GK. Natal tooth associated with Fibrous Hyperplasia–a rare case report. J Clin Diagn Res.2015; 9:18-19.
14. Singh S, Reddy VV, Dhananjaya G, Patil R. Reactive fibrous hyperplasia associated with a natal tooth. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2004; 22:183–86.
15.Tavares TS, da Costa AAS, Freire-Maia FB, Souza LN, Zarzar PM, Martins- Júnior PA, et al. Unusual exophytic gingival lesion in a newborn treated with diode laser. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2020; 130:74-79.
16. Tewari N, Mathur VP, Mridha A, Bansal K, Sardana D. 940 nm Diode Laser assisted excision of Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma in a neonate. Laser Ther. 2017; 26:53-57.
17. Vergotine RJ, Hodgson B, Lambert L. Pulp Polyp Associated with a Natal Tooth: Case Report. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2009; 34:161–64.
18. Wang CH, Lin YT, Lin YJ. A survey of natal and neonatal teeth in newborn infants. J Formos Med Assoc. 2017; 116:193-96
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.