Growth changes of general and dental health status in Taiwanese children from mixed to early permanent dentition
1Department of Pedodontics, School of Dentistry China Medical College, China Medical College, No. 91 Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan, R.O.C
2Department of Pediatric Dentistry, China Medical College Hospital, No. 2 Yuh-Der Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan, R.O.C.
DOI: 10.17796/jcpd.28.4.15n84q7v74755622 Vol.28,Issue 4,October 2004 pp.311-314
Published: 01 October 2004
For this study, the general and dental health status of 463 Taiwanese children aged 9 to 12 years was
evaluated. There were statistically significant increases in all measurements from Hellman’s dental
developmental stages IIIA to IVA except for the maximum mandibular protrusive, right lateral, and
left lateral movements. Maximum bite forces had diminished in stage IIIB. Boys had larger maximum
bite forces and hand-grip forces than did girls after stage IIIC. The proportion of subjects with TMD
signs or symptoms increased to 60% by stage IVA.
Hung-Huey Tsai,Kuo-Ting Sun. Growth changes of general and dental health status in Taiwanese children from mixed to early permanent dentition. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2004. 28(4);311-314.
1. Newman DG. Pearn J. Barnes A.Young CM. Kehoe M. Newman J. Norms for hand grip strength. Arch Disease Childhood 59: 453-9, 1984.
2. Desrosiers J. Bravo G. Hebert R. Dutil E. Normative data for grip strength of elderly men and women. Am J Occupational Therapy 49: 637-44, 1995.
3. Heyward V. McCreary L. Analysis of the static strength and relative endurance of women athletes. Res Quarterly 48: 703-10, 1977.
4. Sheikholeslam A. Moller E. Lous I. Pain, tenderness and strength of human mandibular elevators. Scand J Dent Res 88: 60-6, 1980.
5. Ow RK. Carlsson GE. Jemt T. Biting forces in patients with craniomandibular disorders. Cranio 7: 119-25, 1989.
6. Helkimo E. Carlsson GE. Helkimo M. Bite force and state of dentition. Acta Odonto Scand 35: 297-303, 1977.
7. Agerberg G. Maximal mandibular movements in young men and women. Svensk Tandlakaretidskrift 67: 81-100, 1974.
8. Agerberg G. Maximal mandibular movements in children. Acta Odonto Scand 32: 147-59, 1974.
9. Agerberg G. Osterberg T. Maximal mandibular movements and symptoms of mandibular dysfunction in 70-year old men and women. Svensk Tandlakaretidskrift 67: 147-63, 1974.
10. Helkimo M. Studies on function and dysfunction of the mastica-tory system. IV. Age and sex distribution of symptoms of dys-function of the masticatory system in Lapps in the north of Finland. Acta Odonto Scand 32: 255-67, 1974.
11. Szentpetery A. Huhn E. Fazekas A. Prevalence of mandibular dysfunction in an urban population in Hungary. Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology. 14: 177-80, 1986.
12. Helkimo M. Studies on function and dysfunction of the mastica-tory system. I. An epidemiological investigation of symptoms of dysfunction in Lapps in the north of Finland. Proceed Finnish Dent Soc 70: 37-49, 1974.
13. Magnusson T. Egermark-Eriksson I. Carlsson GE. Four-year longitudinal study of mandibular dysfunction in children. Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology. 13: 117-20, 1985.
14. Pahkala R. Laine T. Variation in function of the masticatory system in 1008 rural children. J Clin Pediatr Dent 16: 25-30, 1991.
15. Magnusson T. Five-year longitudinal study of signs and symp-toms of mandibular dysfunction in adolescents. Cranio 4: 338-44, 1986.
16. Bakke M. Michler L. Han K. Moller E. Clinical significance of isometric bite force versus electrical activity in temporal and masseter muscles. Scand J Dent Res 97: 539-51, 1989.
17. Sheikholeslam A. Moller E. Lous I. Postural and maximal activity in elevators of mandible before and after treatment of functional disorders. Scand J Dent Res 90: 37-46, 1982.
18. Larheim TA. Floystrand F. Temporomandibular joint abnormali-ties and bite force in a group of adults with rheumatoid arthritis. J Oral Rehab 12: 477-82, 1985.
19. Carlsson GE. Bite force and chewing efficiency. Frontiers of Oral Physiology. 1: 265-92, 1974.
20. Brawley RE. Sedwick HJ. Studies concerning the oral cavity and saliva. II Biting pressure. (2) Measurements of biting pressure in children. Am J Orthol Oral Surg 26: 41-6, 1940.
21. Garner LD. Kotwal NS. Correlation study of incisive biting forces with age, sex, and anterior occlusion. J Dent Res 52: 698- 702, 1973.
22. Nagai H. Shibata H. Haga H. Ueno M. Suyama Y. Yasumura S. Matsuzaki T. Sakihara S. Taira K. The relationship of chewing ability to nutrient and food intakes in the community elderly. Nippon Koshu Eisei Zasshi - Japanese Journal of Public Health. 38: 853-8, 1991.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Scopus: CiteScore 2.0 (2022) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.