Evaluation of fissure sealant applied to topical fluoride treated teeth
1Pediatric Dentistry Department, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Alexandria, Egypt, and King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
DOI: 10.17796/jcpd.29.3.f335gm6732253241 Vol.29,Issue 3,July 2005 pp.215-220
Published: 01 July 2005
Fissure sealant is an important tool in the prevention of dental caries. This study evaluated the effect of treating the enamel with topical fluoride gel prior to acid etching on sealant retention clinically (Part I) and in vitro (Part II). In part I a split mouth design using contralateral first permanent molars was conducted. Seventy (35 pairs) molars were sealed. Fissure sealant was applied on one side of the mouth (control group) and the contralateral tooth received acidulated phosphate fluoride gel (test group) prior to acid etching. The sealant was evaluated after 6 and 12 months and scored as intact, partially lost or completely missing.
In part II, the shear bond strength between sealant and buccal enamel of extracted permanent molars without or with topical fluoride treatment was evaluated. Results showed no statistically sig-nificant differences between the test and control groups either clinically or in vitro. It is concluded that topical fluoride application prior to acid etching does not have a deleterious effect on sealant reten-tion. However, further investigations should be conducted using different types of fluoride before altering the traditional practices.
Azza A. El-Housseiny,Aly A. Sharaf. Evaluation of fissure sealant applied to topical fluoride treated teeth. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2005. 29(3);215-220.
1. Wendt LK, Koch G, Birkhed D. On the retention and effective-ness of fissure sealant in permanent molars after 15 - 20 years. A cohort study. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29: 302 - 307, 2001.
2. Straffon LH, Dennison JB. Clinical evaluation comparing sealant and amalgam after 7 years: final report. J A D A 117: 751 - 755, 1988.
3. Romcke RG, Lewis DW, Maze BD, Vickerson RA. Retention and maintenance of fissure sealants over 10 years. J Cand Dent Assoc 56: 235 - 237, 1990.
4. Llodra JC, Bravo M, Delgado-Rodrigues M, Baca P, Galves R. Factors influencing the effectiveness of sealants. A meta - analy-sis. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21: 261 - 268, 1993.
5. Roksman L, Carson B. Two year retention and caries rates of Ultra Seal XT and Fluoroshield light - cured pit and fissure sealants. Gen Dent 46: 184 - 187, 1998.
6. Weintraub JA. Pit and fissure sealants in high risk individuals. J Dent Educ 65: 1084 - 1090, 2001.
7. Shaw L. Modern thoughts on fissure sealants Dent update 27: 370 - 374, 2000.
8. Whelton H, O’Mullane D. The use of combinations of caries pre-ventive procedures. J Dent Educ, 65: 1110 - 1113, 2001.
9. Sheykholeslam Z, Buonocore, MG, Gwinnnett AJ. Effect of flu-orides on the bonding of resins to phosphoric acid etched bovine enamel. Arch Oral Biol 17: 1037 - 1045, 1972.
10. Low T, von Fraunhofer JA, Winter GB. The bonding of a poly-meric fissure sealant to topical fluoride treated teeth. J Oral Rehab 2: 303 - 307, 1975.
11. Kula K, Thompson V, Kula T, Nelson S, Selvaggi R, Liao R. In vitro effect of topical fluorides in sealant materials. J Esthet Dent, 4: 121 - 127, 1992.
12. Sol E, Espasa E, Boj JR, Canalda C. Effect of different prophy-laxis methods on sealant adhesion. J Clin Pediatr Dent 24: 211 -214, 2000.
13. Garcia-Godoy F, Hubbard GW, Storey AT. Effect of a fluoridat-ed etching gel on enamel morphology and shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Denthofac Orthop 100: 163 -170, 1991.
14. Bishara SE, Chan D, Abadir EA. The effect on the bonding strength of orthodontic brackets of fluoride application after etching. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 95: 259 - 260, 1989.
15. Garcia - Godoy F. Shear bond strength of a resin composite to enamel treated with an APF gel. Pediatr Dent 15: 272 - 274, 1993.
16. Koh SH, Huo YY, Powers JM, Chan JT. Topical fluoride treat-ment has no clinical effect on retention of pit and fissure sealants. J Gt Houst Dent Soc 67: 16 - 18, 1995.
17. Koh SH, Chan JT, You C. Effects of topical fluoride treatment on tensile bond strength of pit and fissure sealants. Gen Dent, 46: 278 - 280, 1998.
18. Gwinnett AJ, Buonocore MG, Skeykholeslam Z. Effect of fluo-ride on etched human and bovine tooth enamel surfaces as demonstrated by scanning elector microscopy. Arch Oral Biol, 17: 271 - 278, 1972.
19. Warren DP, Infante NB, Rice HC, Turner JT. Effect of the topical fluoride on retention of pit and fissure sealants. J Dent Hyg 75: 21 - 24, 2001.
20. Low T, von Fraunhofer JA, Winter GB. Influence of the topical application of fluoride on the in vitro adhesion of fissure sealants. J Dent Res 56: 17 - 20, 1977.
21. Ripa LW. The current status of pit and fissure sealant: a review. J Cand Dent Assoc 5: 367 - 380, 1985.
22. Ganss C, Klimek J, Gleim A. One year clinical evaluation of the retention and quality of two fluoride releasing sealants. Clin Oral Investig 3: 188 - 193, 1999.
23. Dennison JB, Straffon LH, More FG. Evaluating tooth eruption on sealant efficiency. J A D A 121: 610 - 614, 1990.
24. Rock WP. Future results of clinical trials. Br Dent J 136: 317 - 321, 1974.
25. Donnan MF, Ball IA. A double blind clinical trial to determine the importance of pumice prophylaxis on fissure sealant reten-tion. Br Dent J 165: 283 - 286, 1988.
26. Gale T, Hanes CM, Myers DR, Russell CM. Performance of sealants applied to first permanent molars in a dental school set-ting. Pediatr Dent 20: 341- 344, 1998.
27. Wendt-LK, Koch G. Fissure sealant in permanent first molars after 10 years. Swed Dent J 12: 181 - 185, 1988.
28. Horowitz HS, Heifetz SP, Poulson S. Retention and effectiveness of a single application of an adhesive sealant in preventing occlusal caries. Final report after five years of study in Kalispell, Montana. J Am Dent Assoc 95: 1113- 1139, 1977.
29. Mertz-Fairhurst EJ, Fairhurst CW, Williams JE, Della-Guistina VE, Brooks JD. A comparative clinical study of two pit and fis-sure sealants: 7-year results in Augusta, Georgia. J A D A 109: 252 -255, 1984.
30. Conry JP, Pintado MR, Douglas WH. Quantitative charges in fis-sure sealant six months after placement. Peditr Dent 12: 162 -167, 1990.
31. Pintado MR, Conry JP, Douglas WH. Fissure sealant wear at 30 months: new evaluation criteria. J Dent 19: 33 - 38, 1991.
32. Feigal R. Sealants and preventive restorations: review of effec-tiveness and clinical changes for improvement. Pediatr Dent 20: 85 - 92, 1998.
33. Koulourides T, Keller SE, Manson-Hing L, Lilley V. Enhancement of fluoride effectiveness by experimental cario-genic priming of human enamel. Caries Res 14: 32 - 39, 1980.
34. Ripa LW. Occlusal sealants: rationale and review of clinical trails. Int Dent J 30: 127 - 139, 1980.
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.