Premature loss of primary teeth associated with congenital syphilis: a case report
1Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
DOI: 10.17796/jcpd.29.3.m671132x8r306278 Vol.29,Issue 3,July 2005 pp.273-276
Published: 01 July 2005
*Corresponding Author(s): Lucianne Cople Maia E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congenital syphilis is an infectious disease transmitted by an infected mother to her fetus. Several reports in the literature have focused on oral manifestations of congenital syphilis, mainly about Hutchinson's teeth and dysplastic molars, which are more common. However, this paper describes an unusual feature of congenital syphilis in a four-year-old child. A case of premature loss of primary teeth associated with congenital syphilis is reported.
Andréa Gonçalves Antonio,Alice Kelly,Lucianne Cople Maia. Premature loss of primary teeth associated with congenital syphilis: a case report. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2005. 29(3);273-276.
1. Barrett AW, Dorrego MV, Hodgson T A, Porter SR, Argiriadou AS, Speight PM. The histopathology of the oral mucosa. J Oral Pathol Med 33: 286-291, 2004.
2. Peihong J, Zhiyong L, Rengui C, Jian W. Early congenital syphilis. Int J Dermatol 40: 198-202, 2001.
3. Ritter C. Congenital syphilis. Dental Assistant 46: 23-24, 1977.
4. Southwick KL, Blanco S, Santander A, Estenssoro M, Torrico F, Seoane G, Brady W, Fears M, Lewis J, Pope V, Guarner J, Levine WC. Maternal and congenital syphilis in Bolivia, 1996: prevalence and risk factors. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79: 1-10, 2001.
5. WHO,World Health Organization. http://www.paho.org/ (2004).
6. Ministério da Saúde. Incidência de sífilis Congênita. http://www. datasus.gov.br/ (2004).
7. Carey JC. Congenital syphilis in the 21st century. Current women’s health reports 3: 299-302, 2003.
8. Fiumara NJ, Lesell S. Manifestations of late congenital syphilis: Analysis of 271 patients. Arch Dermatol 102: 78, 1970.
9. Housego T,Wood RE, Nortjé CJ. Repair of a palatal defect associated with late congenital syphilis using a tongue flap. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46: 70-73, 1988.
10. Laskaris G. Oral manifestations of infectious disease. Dent Clin North America 40: 395-423, 1996.
11. Hartsfield JKJ. Premature exfoliation of teeth in childhood and adolescence. Adv Pediatr 41: 453-470, 1994.
12. Terezhalmy GT. Oral manifestations of sexually related diseases. Ear, Nose & Throat J 62: 5-19, 1983.
13. Modesto A, Portella W, Souza IPR, Silveira AC. Sífilis congênita: relato de um caso na F.O.UFRJ. Rev Odontoped 1: 210-215,1992.
14. Andreasen JO,Andreasen FM. Essentials of traumatic injuries to the teeth: a step-by-step treatment guide. 2nd ed. Copenhagen, Munksgaard, p188, 2000.
15. McDonald R,Avery D, Dean J. Dentistry for the child and adolescent. 8th ed., Mosby, p784, 2004.
16. Massler M, Savara BS. Natal and neonatal teeth. J Pediatrics 36: 349-359, 1950.
17. Straffon LH, Hartsook JT, Corpron RE. Some systemic causes for the premature exfoliation of primary teeth. J Mich Dent Assoc 57: 342-352, 1975.
18. Purvis RJ, Barrie WJ, Mackay GS, Wilkinson EM, Cockburn F, Belton NR. Enamel hypoplasia of the teeth associated with neonatal tetany: a manifestation of maternal vitamin D deficiency. Lancet 2: 811-814, 1973.
19. Huebsch RF. Gumma of the hard palate with perforation. Oral Surg 8: 690, 1955.
20. Meyer I, Shklar G. The oral manifestations of acquired syphilis. Oral Surg 23: 45, 1967.
21. Strassburg M. Diseases of the oral mucosa. Quintessence Int. 5: 67-72, 1974.
22. Takechi K, Sekiguchi K, Goto S. A case of keratitis, ichthyosis, and deafness syndrome with Hutchinson’s triad-like symptoms. Nippon Ganka Gakkai Zasshi 103: 322-326, 1999.
23. Landes CA, Kovacs AF. Aspects of oral syphilis. Quintessence Int 35: 723-727, 2004.
24. Duarte ECB, da Silva LM, Naves MD, do Carmo MAV, de Aguiar MCF. Primary syphilis of oral mucosa: case report of an unusual manifestation. 35: 728-730, 2004.
25. Mel’nichenko EM, Gusakovskaia ZhS.The characteristics of the manifestation of syphilis on the mucosa of the mouth and oropharynx in children and adolescents. Stomatologiia (Mosk) 79: 53-5, 2000.
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.