Distal guide as a substitute for distal shoe space maintainer: a case series study
1Department of Pediatric dentistry, Dental School, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
2Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
DOI: 10.22514/jocpd.2022.028 Vol.46,Issue 6,November 2022 pp.58-62
Published: 01 November 2022
Early loss of the primary second molar (DSM) before the eruption of the permanent first molar (PFM) may result in its mesial drift during the eruption. Traditionally, a distal shoe space maintainer is used in this situation to control the path of eruption and preserve the space. However, considering its disadvantages, an alternative appliance needs to be developed for guiding the unerupted PFM. The purpose of this article is to represent an innovative design for preserving space after the early loss of the DSM, describe the fabrication process, and present some data on the successful results of using the appliance in five cases.
Distal shoe; Space maintenance; Primary dentition; Distal guide
Fatemeh Mazhari,Maryam Valizadeh. Distal guide as a substitute for distal shoe space maintainer: a case series study. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2022. 46(6);58-62.
1. Afshar H, Milani S. Modified distal shoe appliance for bilateral early loss of primary molars: report of four cases. Journal of Islamic Dental Association of IRAN. 2017; 29: 79–85.
2. Manas D, Carly D, Jones P, Stephen C, Siobhan B. Space maintenance in the mixed dentition—a necessary intervention or a step too far? Dental Update. 2020; 47: 54–60.
3. Singhal M, Vashishta V, Chauhan A, Swarnkar SK. Willet’s distal shoe appliance for early loss of second deciduous molar: A case report with 2 year follow up. University Journal of Dental Sciences. 2020; 6: 68–70.
4. Anika U, Rajender S. Space regainers: a review. International Journal of Applied Dental Sciences. 2020; 6: 654–660.
5. Vijeta A, Sandhya J, Neetu S. Molar distalization: a review. International Journal of Current Research. 2019; 11: 654–661.
6. Brill WA. The distal shoe space maintainer: chairside fabrication and clinical performance. Pediatric Dentistry. 2002; 24: 561–565.
7. Mayhew MJ, Dilley GJ, Dilley DC, Jacoway J, Johnson PT. Tissue response to intragingival appliances in monkeys. Apex. 1984; 9: 12.2.
8. Barbería E, Lucavechi T, Cárdenas D, Maroto M. Free-end space maintainers: design, utilization and advantages. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2007; 31: 5–8.
9. Hicks EP. Treatment planning for the distal shoe space maintainer. Dental Clinics of North America. 1973; 17: 135–150.
10. Nolla CM. The development of permanent teeth. J Dent Child 1960; 27: 254-266.
11. Demirjian A, Goldstein H, Tanner JM. A new system of dental age assessment. Human Biology. 1973; 45: 211–227.
12. Moorres C, Fanning E, Hunt Jr E. Age variation of formation stage for 10 premolar teeth. Journal of Dental Research. 1963; 42: 1490–1502.
13. Dean JA, ed. McDonald and Avery’s Dentistry for the Child and Adolescent. —E book. Elsevier Health Sciences: St Louis, 2021.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.