The effects of periradicular inflamation and infection on a primary tooth and permanent successor
1Av. Hercilio Luz, 1199- Apto. 102 - Centro, CEP: 88.020-00 1, Florianôpolis - SC - Brazil
2 Rua Desembargador Urbano Salles, 111 - Apto. 504B - Centro CEP: 88.0 15-430, Florianôpolis - SC - Brazil
DOI: 10.17796/jcpd.29.3.5238p10v21r2j162 Vol.29,Issue 3,July 2005 pp.193-200
Published: 01 July 2005
*Corresponding Author(s): Mabel Mariela Rodriguez Cordeiro E-mail: email@example.com
*Corresponding Author(s): Maria Jose de Carvalho Rocha E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary teeth and the permanent successors must be understood as interdependent units, where each one of them interacts with and depends on each other. Pulpal inflammation/infection of a primary tooth and the spread of this condition over the periradicular tissues can lead to alterations in the dental germ of the permanent successor and to the surrounding structures if no therapy is done, i.e. endodontics or extraction. This work will present cases of permanent teeth that showed alteration in eruption and / or in development, as a consequence of inflammation / infection of the preceding primary teeth, such as: hypoplasia, morphological alteration on the dental crown or total arrest of radicular formation. The teeth analysed in this study belong to patients who attended the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina Children's Dentistry Clinic. The earlier these lesions are diagnosed, the less were the destructive effects and the consequences on the primary tooth / permanent germ unit.
Mabel Mariela Rodriguez Cordeiro,Maria Jose de Carvalho Rocha. The effects of periradicular inflamation and infection on a primary tooth and permanent successor. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2005. 29(3);193-200.
1. Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM. Texto e atlas colorido de trauma-tismo dental. 3 ed. Porto Alegre, Artmed, 2001.
2. Baratieri LN, et al. Odontología restauradora. fundamentos e posibilidades. São Paulo, Santos, 2001.
3. Binns JR. WH, Escobar A. Defects in permanent teeth following pulp exposure of primary teeth. J Dent Child 34: 4-14, 1967.
4. Brook AH, Winter GB. Developmental arrest of permanent tooth germs following pulpal infection of deciduous teeth. Br Dent J 139: 9-11, 1975.
5. Brook AH, Winter GB, Osborne JA. The occurrence of benign cystic lesions of the jaws in children. Proc Br Paedod Soc 1: 16, 1971.
6. Coll JA, Sadrian R. Predicting pulpectomy success and its rela-tionship to exfoliation and its succedaneous dentition. Pediatr Dent 18: 57-63, 1996.
7. Cordeiro MMR. Tratamento endodôntico em dentes decíduos: conseqüências nos dentes permanentes sucessores. Monografia. Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina. Curso de Especialização em Odontopediatria. 1999.
8. Fanning E. A. Effect of extraction of deciduous molars on the formation and eruption of their successors. Angle Orthodont 32: 44- 53, 1962.
9. Matsumiya S. Experimental pathological study on the effect of treatment of infected root canals in the deciduous tooth on growth of permanent tooth germ. Int Dent J 18: 546-559, 1968.
10. Müller de aAraújo MG. Ortodontia para clínicos: programa pré-ortodôntico. 4 ed. São Paulo, Santos, 209-231, 1988.
11. Myers DR, et al. Histopatology of furcation lesions associated with pulp degeneration in primary molars. Pediatr Den 9: 279-282, 1987.
12. Niswander JD, Sujaru C. Relationship of enamel defects of per-manent teeth to retention of deciduous tooth fragments. J Dent Res 41: 808-814, 1962.
13. Nolla CM. The development of the permanent teeth. J Dent Child 27: 254-266, 1960.
14. Rocha MJC. Tratamento endodôntico de dentes decíduos com-prometidos por cárie. 10o Livro Anual do Grupo Brasileiro de Professores de Ortodontia e Odontopediatria, Belo Horizonte 1: 28- 30, 2001.
15. Slots J. Systemic manifestations of oral infections. In: Slots J, Taubman M. Contemporary oral microbiology and immunology. St. Louis, Mosby, pp. 500-510, 1992.
16. Ten Cate AR. Histologia bucal. Desenvolvimento, estrutura e função. 2 ed. Rio de Janeiro, Guanabara, 1985.
17. Valderhaug J. Periapical inflammation in primary teeth and its effect on the permanent successors. Int J Oral Surg 3: 171-182, 1974.
18. Weinlander GH. Clinical effect of formaldehyde preparations in pulpotomy for primary molars. J Can Dent Assoc 37: 154-158, 1971.
19. Winter GB, Kramer IRH. Changes in periodontal membrane, bone and permanent teeth following experimental pulpal injury in deciduous molar teeth of monkeys. Arch Oral Biol 17: 1771-1779, 1972.
Vol., Issue , Invalid dateTable of contents
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,500 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
PubMed (MEDLINE) PubMed comprises more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
Biological Abstracts Easily discover critical journal coverage of the life sciences with Biological Abstracts, produced by the Web of Science Group, with topics ranging from botany to microbiology to pharmacology. Including BIOSIS indexing and MeSH terms, specialized indexing in Biological Abstracts helps you to discover more accurate, context-sensitive results.
Google Scholar Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
JournalSeek Genamics JournalSeek is the largest completely categorized database of freely available journal information available on the internet. The database presently contains 39226 titles. Journal information includes the description (aims and scope), journal abbreviation, journal homepage link, subject category and ISSN.
Current Contents - Clinical Medicine Current Contents - Clinical Medicine provides easy access to complete tables of contents, abstracts, bibliographic information and all other significant items in recently published issues from over 1,000 leading journals in clinical medicine.
BIOSIS Previews BIOSIS Previews is an English-language, bibliographic database service, with abstracts and citation indexing. It is part of Clarivate Analytics Web of Science suite. BIOSIS Previews indexes data from 1926 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.